Leigh on Sea Maritime Festival
Leigh Old Town
Southend Maritime Festival
The Leigh Fishing Festival will relaunch in 2014 as a Maritime Festival in 2014, encompassing more than just fishing elements.
It was designed to raise the profile of the cockling and fishing industries in Leigh and to celebrate the fishing industry in the area and sees thousands of people visiting Old Leigh.
Increase public awareness of the fishing and cockling industries and related seafood activities in Leigh.
Illustrate to the public how the fishing industry and the port works.
Give members of the public the opportunity to meet and talk to fishermen and learn about the different vessels and methods of fishing.
Benefit businesses involved in the fishing and cockling industries.
Leigh Town Council has decided to stop the festival in what would have been its tenth year. The Leigh Regatta and the Leigh Folk Festival remain unchanged.
Fishing Festival Links:
The Fishwives Choir were formed in Leigh on Sea.
West Mersea Oyster Bar
The Jubilee Sailing Trust promotes their charity which enables people of all physical abilities to share the challenge and adventure of tall ship sailing.
The Fishermen's Chapel of the New Road Methodist Church
Fishermen's Service held at 11.00am
Port of London Authority
Leigh Art Trail
Old Leigh Regatta
11.00am to 4.00pm
- Increase public awareness of the fishing and cockling industries and related seafood activities in Leigh
- Illustrate to the public how the fishing industry and the port works
- Give members of the public the opportunity to meet and talk to fishermen and learn about the different vessels and methods of fishing
- Benefit businesses involved in the fishing and cockling industries
- A demonstration of traditional marine skills, such as net mending and sail making, together with demonstrations of knots and splicing
- Sea Scouts and rangers events: sailing, rowing and swimming
- Sealife Adventure in Southend displaying a rock pool with local crabs and starfish
- Marine rescue boats from the RNLI, Coastguard Marine Rescue Unit & The Essex Police Marine Unit attending
- Various representatives from Southend-on-Sea Borough Council present to explain the environment around the estuary, food safety, and other aspects of the regulations to ensure that fish is brought safely to your table. Displays and leaflets explaining what they do for the public and to assist the fishing industry
- Beach and Sea Safety trailers from the RNLI and the Port of London Authority
- Sea shanties
- Seascapes from a local artist
- The Fishermen's Chapel of the New Road Methodist Church opens for visitors viewing with refreshments between 10.00am and 2.00pm and usually a Fishermen's Service held at 11.00am
- The Jubilee Sailing Trust promotes their charity which enables people of all physical abilities to share the challenge and adventure of tall ship sailing
Other organisations who exhibit at the Fishing Festival include: Kent and Essex Sea Fisheries Committee, Southend Natural History Museum, Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB), Essex Wildlife Trust, Environment Agency, London Port Health Authority, Shellfish Association of GB, and Endeavour Trust.
2013 Music Festivals in Southend
Southend Concert Venues
2013 Village Green Chalkwell Park
Leigh Fishing Festival
RPO Concert Priory Park 2013
Concert in Priory Park Southend 2013
2013 Southend Armed Forces Day
Southend Bandstand Concerts 2013
Southend Music Festival 2013
Leigh Music Festival 2013
Concerts on Southend Pier 2013
Steel Pan Workshop in Southend
Southend Olympic Torch Anthem
2013 Essex Carnivals
Praise in Park 2013
2013 Music for Fun Music Workshop
Guitar Workshop in Southend
Music for Fun Workshop
Classical Music Concerts 2013
Southend Chamber Music Club
Horror on Sea Film Festival
Folk and Ale Festival
Leigh Folk Festival 2013
Petition: Southend Air Show cancelled